Saturday, February 21, 2009

What Is Spam Made Out of And How Is It Made?

I just read Spam: A Biography. There is no question that I am a big fan of it. I thought I'd summarize the factory process for making Spam from the book, which is very interesting.

As a part of the research, I tried to find a video of a Spam factory tour. Instead, I found this video put out by PETA of a pig farm in Iowa that supplies pork to Hormel (Spam). It is the saddest and most disgusting thing I have ever seen, and I stopped watching it halfway. This is some sick stuff. You've been warned.

And one more thing, Hormel acknowledged that this pig farm is one of its suppliers. I'm an omnivore and am certainly not preachy, but what has our society become?


Warning: Real sick and inhumane treatment of poor pigs. Very disturbing.

CKY

No comments: