Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Where Will Heidfeld Go In 2010?

It's the silly season again. Heidfeld's contract with BMW expires this year and BMW is leaving F1 anyway. So where will Heidfeld end up?
  • Heidfeld will stay at BMW's successor. There is no question that Heidfeld is comfortable with and likes BMW. He was very close to winning his first race back in Canada in a BMW. I think if its successor offers him a ride, he will stay.
  • Heidfeld to Williams. With Rosberg rumored to go to McLaren. Heidfeld may return to his old team. He is still on good terms with the team so this is a strong possibility.
  • Heidfeld to Toyota. With Trulli out, it may be a Glock-Heidfeld German 1-2 for the Cologne team. I dunno, I can't see this happening.
  • Heidfeld to Manor. I think this is just as unlikely as Heidfeld going to Toyota. In a recent interview, he poo-pooed the idea of joining one of the new teams because of their unlikelihood of being competitive for the first few years.
  • Heidfeld to McLaren. I think this would be a great match. If Rosberg does not go to McLaren, Mercedes would still like a German to take a seat on the team. Heidfeld is also perfect because he is the perfect number 2 (to a me-me-me Hamilton) and is great at communicating with the engineers (a skill Hamilton has yet to pick up). Plus, driving for McLaren gives Heidfeld his best chance of winning a race.

Watch a cameo by then-teammate Felipe Massa doing his rendition of Dance Like An Egyptian.

No comments: