Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Last Maui Pineapple Truck

With the demise of commercial pineapple farming on Maui, 300 workers will be laid off. And those ubiquitous yellow Maui pineapple trucks will be gone too. I took these pics after taking the last tour ever offered on the plantation. This example was tucked away in a gated yard. As soon as I got there and took my camera out, a couple of tough looking teamster-types started walking up to me. No doubt they thought I was some kind of agitator, as tensions must be high. So I took a couple of pictures and hightailed it out of there.

These, I believe, will be the last pictures taken of the fabled yellow Maui pineapple trucks.


1 comment:

Sheralyn said...

When we were in Maui, we didn't get around to taking a tour of the pineapple plantation... now I'm kicking myself for not checking it out! It was on my "to-do" list for next time... I guess I'm out of luck now!

It's sad that all those people lost their jobs... especially in this tough ecomony...