Saturday, February 20, 2010

Old School Ski Racks

During my trip through the Sierras, I saw an old rusty Porsche 924 parked on the street with a ski rack. Only the sub-arctic weather and my hunger and exhaustion prevented me from whipping out my camera to take a picture.

The first thing that came to my mind was my Hot Wheels Porsche 944 with removable plastic skis.


The second thing to come to my mind was Roger Moore's Lotus Esprit with a ski rack in For Your Eyes Only.

I wonder what happened to the rear mounted, angled ski rack. I haven't seen one of these set-ups in decades. There aren't that many hatchbacks now, but I don't even remember seeing these on 300ZX's or RX-7's in the 1990s.

Is it because they hurt the aerodynamics? Or is a rear wheel drive two seater not the first choice for people when they head to the mountains to go skiing?

No comments: