Monday, November 15, 2010

Acetazolamide Diamox altitude sickness medication


Picked up the altitude sickness medication today.  Without it, I become quite miserable.

In 2004, I went up to Karakul Lake in Xinjiang, along the Karakoram Highway.  It was about 3,600 meters (11,811 feet) above sea level.  That was as high as I had ever been.  Despite the spectacular scenery and setting, I couldn't fully enjoy it.  I suffered shortness of breath; a constant, pounding headache; and difficulty concentrating.  Here are some pics I took:

Shadows at Karakul Lake

Mother and calf

Lots of sheep

I learned my lesson and took Acetazolamide next time.  These shots were taken at the Mauna Loa observatory on the Big Island of Hawaii in 2007.  It's 3,397 meters (11,141 feet) above sea level.  Aside from a few extra trips to the loo, I was fine.  Pics from my trip:

Shadow at summit

Above the clouds

My next high-altitude destination will be Chungara Lake in Chile's Lauca National Park.  4,517 meters (14,820 feet).  Takes my breath away.  

Here is a Wikipedia picture of the lake and Parinacota Volcano in the background.

No comments: