Friday, November 26, 2010

Arnold Schwarzenegger's Mercedes W140 S600 600SEL V12 review

I ran into these pictures of this atrocious car this morning.  That's California's outgoing governor in it.

Holy kit cars, batman.  Are those VW Beetle taillights?

Judging by that car, Arnold's taste in cars is on par with his ability to balance this state's budget.  He must have cooler cars than that.  He does.  Here is his W140 V12 in the Mercedes museum in Germany.

Source.

Here is a young Jeremy Clarkson reviewing the car with Chris Isaak providing background music.

5 comments:

MattC said...

In the late 1980's, I worked for a rental car company. We had 2 of those monstrosities for rent. Someone whould use it for weddings, special events, etc. All I can remember about that car was it handled, drove, accelerated, and braked poorly. All the while, the ill-fitting fiberglass body and fake wire wheels gave no illusion of period correctness.

Maxichamp said...

@MattC: Do you remember the make and model of that car?

Jude I said...

That is horrible reminds me of the horribleness of Zimmer cars

http://www.zimmermotorcars.com/

Click if only if you have eye bleach!

Maxichamp said...

@Jude: I grew up in a modest home at the bottom of a hill in Southern California. The nouveau riche had ostentatious mansions on the hill, including a prominent televangelist couple (they're still broadcasting) and the owner of Clothestime (remember that company?). One of these residents owned a white 2-door Zimmer. When I was a kid, I was confused about it. Why would anyone try to replicate a classic car? If they had the money, why not just buy the original?

MattC said...

I cannot remember but I know it wasn't a Zimmer. I think if has Mustang II suspension in the front and an anemic Ford 3.8L V6 as the engine. (maybe Excaliber or something like that)