Saturday, March 07, 2015

CarMax question

Does anyone here know what CarMax typically buys?

Friend's aunt has a 2003 Taurus with virtually no miles. Surface street errand runs its whole life. All the maintenance. She finally bought a newer car. Dealership offered her $500 for the Taurus. She said no thanks. 

My godson is turning 16 and I thought, perfect, I'll offer $500 and buy the Taurus. Friend says he wants to try to see what CarMax will offer for the Taurus. Will they even buy it? Will they offer any more than $500? 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa, cars are so cheap in the US... this one should be exported! Have you found if these are desired abroad, and where?

(Sorry to be of no help at all)

F1Outsider said...

They paid me a lot more for my RX8 than they really should have. I walked out smiling from ear to ear.

My experience is have been that they'll buy pretty much anything that can drive to their lot. No clue what they'll pay for a Taurus though.

Rich said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rich said...

I need to start encouraging older relatives to buy interesting cars, so I can harvest low-mileage examples 10 years from now.

Maxichamp said...

@rchen: Interesting cars, like the Taurus?

Francisco said...

When is the next Saturday Car event in Oakland?

Maxichamp said...

@Francisco: The first Seconds Saturdays of the year in Oakland will take place on the morning of April 11 at 456 23rd Street. Bring the Phaeton!

Ed Kim said...

Yes, Carmax will buy pretty much anything. It's quick and easy. Two months ago, my mom ended up selling her car to Carmax...the dealer she was buying her new car at only offered $2500, but Carmax gave her $3000. She was happy.