Monday, April 11, 2016

Eating the Globe: Yemen


Saul's Jewish deli is a Berkeley institution. I usually go there on weekends. I've noticed on the menu that there is a Yemeni breakfast that's only available on weekdays. I assume it's on the menu because it's popular with Yemeni Jews.

It's called a Malawach Yemeni Pancake. Deep fried dough. I ordered it with shawarma on top, but it tasted just like corn beef hash. On the side, you have a poached egg, zhoug (that green thing), harissa, fresh tomatoes, and labne yogurt cheese. Everything was tasty, but it's not really my cup of tea. So I don't think I would order it again.

Countries tried so far:
Africa: Egypt, Ethiopia, South Africa
Asia: Afghanistan, Burma, China, India, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Lebanon, Malaysia, Pakistan, Philippines, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam, Yemen
Europe: Bosnia, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Sweden
North America: El Savador, Mexico, USA
South America: Brazil, Chile, Venezuela

No comments: